Downcast

Don’t look down… but why
I did before when I was down there, wounded and sick
There weren’t even tears to cry
As you looked down on me and spit
How I wanted to crawl into the grave
Where the worms and maggots lie
To never see another day
You made me want to die

And now not the ground but you
Not wounded or sick but brought down to earth
Angels don’t crawl the way you do
That’s the truth though; you’re just another girl

Don’t look down… buy why
I did before when I was down there, humiliated and ashamed
Didn’t scream, gasp, or even sigh
You took everything, even my name
And I felt I deserved this
To never look above
Because I thought to win you Miss
Embarrassing I fell in love

All that laughter, the hoots, and the names
I’m with the mob, the victim, or master
You’re still wanted, a thing with fame
Crawling down there, so much for disaster

Don’t look down… but why
I did before when I was down there, an animal a beast
Couldn’t wallow in pity, couldn’t even lie
Because I wanted you, hell the need
Never was a man crawling on all fours
Guess you did what I wanted, knocked me off of my feet
And I begged and I pleaded, you hurt me more
Never sleep with dogs but I was a freak

Standing on my own two feet
I’m looking down to see a bitch at last
The girl I love down on her knees
Now why is it I look downcast…

Copyright © 2011, Will A. Bradford Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment