The Sound of Carrion

Knock on wood
Opportunity knocks
Too late for good
My world not rocked
Look

Listen, the chattering rats
Who this very hour
In love, entrapped
As if under a siren’s power
Become obsessed, become attached

To slithering and swallowing
Flesh
From which they are devouring
Above worms’ zest
Towering

No longer
As dirt fills the void
The coffin not stronger
Murdered, destroyed
Beauty was her

And her quiet
Is all there is
Though I did not buy it
Because this Miss
Denied it

As I knocked on her door
A cat and her rats
This worm did adore
The dusty old stacks
Of lovers and lore

Those alive say too many things
A pretty girl did make her choice
And me, my love, and everything
Have learned the dead make too much noise

Copyright © 2011, Will A. Bradford Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment